Ruins and Fragments of Castillo San Cristóbal in Santa Cruz de Tenerife


We took a tour of the ruins of the Castillo de San Cristóbal in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, in the Canary Islands.

It was the first important fortification there . In June  2006, while they were carrying out remodeling works on the Plaza de España, these remains were located, which were later found to belong to those from the castle. In the technical studies that were carried out as a result, it was found that the structure of the building had suffered serious damage at the time of its demolition in 1928. Specifically, the eastern part of the fortification and the wall of the bastion or diamond point located in the northeast corner , today a whole small museum sample. 

It was built in 1575 under the direction of the Italian engineer Leonardo Torria, commissioned by King Philip II of Spain from 1587.
It was torn down in 1928.
In it is the famous Tigre Canyon, formerly located in the Military History Museum of the Canary Islands.

The ruins have a height of about 2 or 3 meters at one end, and 1 or 2 meters at the other, and are about 7.5 meters long.

The underground space enabled where the preserved walls of the castle are exhibited exposes the defensive system that Tenerife had. 

From Monday to Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. 
Closed: Sundays and holidays; December 24, 25 and 31; January 1 and 6. 
Access up to 15 minutes before closing. 
General information: 922 28 56 05

Arriving by Train:
Very close to the stop of Line 1 of the "Fundación" Tram that communicates directly with Santa Cruz and La Laguna.

Arriving by Walking:  
About 10 or 15 minutes walk from the Central Bus Station.


In the Plaza Spain.

Options to visit the  Canary Islands, 
offering transfers, tours, guided visits... 

For free: (click image)

Contratar algunos de estos servicios no incrementará su costo para usted.


Con la tecnología de Blogger.